What’s New in 360Suite:
Better Than Ever
Did you know that 360Suite releases new versions of its popular web platform every quarter? Our developers work hard to pack 360Suite updates with improvements and new features in response to customer feedback and changing market conditions, and the latest release is no exception. Version 2019.03 of the 360Suite web platform was released in July 2019, and it offers several new features that are sure to delight 360Suite customers worldwide.
Before we dive into the details, here’s a quick primer. The original version of 360Suite (v1) is now known as the “legacy app,” and it includes 360View, 360Plus, 360Cast, 360Vers, and 360Bind. The newer version of 360Suite (v2) is called the “web platform,” and it hosts 360View, 360Live, 360Plus, 360Vers, and 360Univ. Customers on the web platform who want to use 360Bind and 360Cast must also retain the legacy app — at least for now. (More on that later.) 360Eyes is a separate standalone product that’s not included in either the legacy app or web platform.
360Suite Updates to the Web Platform
360Suite 2019.03 includes the following updates to the general web platform:
- The ability to save sessions with aliases, which is particularly helpful for recovery when names contain strings of letters and numbers that are hard to remember;
- Enhanced display while configuring selected administration and documentation tasks;
- Support for SAP HANA databases (on-prem only);
- Improved setup for installations of the 360Suite web platform on Linux and Unix operating systems; and
- Asynchronous launch of external tasks.
360View updates include several features that were available in the legacy app and have now been added to the web platform, including the ability to:
- Schedule matrix zone exports to document security.
- Purge Webi documents based on size in the File Repository Server (FRS), either for security reasons or to save space.
- Add custom flag values to objects (e.g., documents, users, Universes) in bulk to facilitate flag-based promotion.
- Update user groups and empty groups in bulk.
The biggest changes incorporated in the latest release of the 360Suite web platform relate to 360Plus. They include the ability to:
- Extract and export Universe comparisons (current Universe vs a backup) to Excel with differences highlighted.
- Select parallelization in backup tasks to improve performance. This major change improves the performance of 360Plus by up to 30%. Previously, 360Plus backed up one kind of object at a time, and the only way to speed up the process was to create multiple backup tasks and run them simultaneously. With version 2019.03, 360Plus can process a number of objects in parallel. The default setting is “2” threads, but it can be changed to reflect your environment (e.g., set to match the maximum number of logical cores/CPUs on a dedicated SAP BusinessObjects server), which will significantly improve the speed of both full and incremental backups.
- Export backup repository documentation to Excel. This feature was already available in the legacy app and has now been added to the web platform. Although you could always see that backups were running, now you can document exactly which objects (e.g., documents, folders, Universes) were backed up and the size of those objects.
360Univ is the 360Suite solution that makes it easy to select a Universe, export content to Excel, and perform updates in bulk. New updates improve usability and add more dimension management options, including mapping, lineage, object conditions, and the ability to include/exclude objects from results. Most significant, 360Univ can now enable/disable a list of values (LOV). (Note: By default, when SAP BusinessObjects creates a Universe, it creates a LOV for all objects, even those without lookup values (e.g., dates and IDs), for which a LOV may not be useful.)
360Eyes is the 360Suite solution that extracts metadata from SAP BusinessObjects. In addition to releasing a new version of the web platform on a quarterly basis, 360Suite also updates 360Eyes on the same schedule. Version 2019.03 includes the ability to:
- Extract information about custom elements.
- Extract additional CMS information, including object size, author/owner, Universe description, and security mapping.
- Extract additional security information (e.g., inheritance information about Universe restrictions).
- Retrieve additional metadata relating to scheduled instances (e.g., next run time, schedule format settings, attachment names).
- Exclude extraction of user sessions for specified service users.
- Exclude extraction of instances metadata, for smaller snapshots and faster jobs.
- View and manage usage of linked Universe objects from both child and parent Universes.
- Report on deleted documents. When the recycle bin is turned on in SAP BusinessObjects, deleting an object merely moves it to the recycle bin. In other words, it’s still in the repository, just hidden. The new version of 360Eyes can filter objects according to the following values: never deleted, in recycle bin, recycled (aka restored to the prior location).
The next 360Suite release (2019.04) is scheduled for the first week of October. 360Suite plans to port 360Bind to the web platform in the next release and 360Cast sometime in 2020.
Staying on Top
With 360Suite, there’s no need to wonder when it’s time for an upgrade. Quarterly releases take the guesswork out of the process and make it easy to remember to install the latest and greatest version of 360Suite on your system. Upgrading is quick and easy! Just visit our support site, download the latest install file, and run the executable (.exe), which will detect that you have the software and need the update. In the case of 360Eyes, you’ll also need to import the .lcmbiar file for the latest jobs and Universes. If you haven’t already moved from the legacy app to the web platform, now’s the time to do so, even if you need to retain the legacy app to run 360Bind and 360Cast. Side-by-side installations take just a little longer because they require a fresh installation and an extra step to manually recreate tasks in v2.
For a demo, free trial, help upgrading, or more information about 360Suite updates, send us an email at Contact@360suite.io.
Watch the complete thirty-minute webinar for more information about the latest release of 360Suite.